What ants are afraid of
Ants are insects that bring in nature in favor: they eat pests, mix up the soil when building an anthill, thus increasing the flow of air to the underground parts of plants. But, settling in a house or garden, they can bite a person, get into food supplies, clothes, and cause problems to useful plants in the garden.To defend against them, it is enough to know what the ants are afraid of in order to successfully drive them out of the territory.
Species of ants
Home and forest ants are two different types of insects that differ in size, feeding methods, and habitat. Ginger speciesliving in the forest are workers who build large anthills and destroy forest pests, they are 4-9 mm in size. Domestic aliens are very small, barely growing up to 3 mm, which can settle anywhere in the house, but have no relation to the forest brothers.
On a note!
These 2 species of ants differ in character: forest dwellers, protecting their nest, may well bite a person or an animal that disturbed their rest, and domestic animals do not bite at all.
Black ants Or garden - it is pests that bring a lot of trouble gardeners. They settle on any plant together with aphidswhich is used for their food. After some time, the plant affected by aphids dies. Therefore, all gardeners and gardeners will have to protect their plantings from such pests so as not to lose the crop. Knowing what plants do not like garden ants, it is quite capable of everyone.
Ways to protect
Ants play a big role in the ecosystem of nature, their destruction will not benefit neither man nor the plants. Therefore, you should apply various methods of protection that will create unbearable conditions for insects to leave on their own.
There are the following methods, how to protect plants on the site and your house:
- use of plants whose smell ants not endure;
- scaring them with essential oils;
- food use.
Ants do not like the smell of many sharp-smelling plants, so this environmentally friendly way will allow them to get out of the territory by planting the following flowers and herbs in the garden plot or spreading them in dried form:
- marigold flowers and lavender;
- lemon balm, mint, valerian;
- nasturtium rosemary;
- dill, parsley, mustard and cilantro;
- anise, fennel.
Many gardeners use fragrant plants, planting them around the perimeter, you can plant mint or marigold from aphids and ants in between the rows of the garden. You can also make decoctions of these herbs, and then spray them places insects.
It should be remembered that the herbal smell is unstable, so the treatment of plants with decoctions should be repeated quite often, and the dried bunches should be changed periodically.
In the House or in the country domestic aliens can be driven away by spreading bundles of dried herbs indoors and in cabinets. The flowers of lavender and mint from the ants will not only scare them, but also create a pleasant aroma in the room.
Some plants useful for the vegetable garden are planted in the tree trunks of fruit trees: valerian, mint or marigold will not only drive away insects, but will also be used by the hosts as medicines. Similarly, wormwood from ants is used.
Scaring with essential oils
Knowing that the ants are afraid not only of the odorous plants themselves, but also of strong odors, you can use aromatic oils to effectively combat them:
- lavender, mint;
- cedar, conifer or juniper oil;
- aniseed, cinnamon.
This method is rather preventive, allowing to prevent ants into the room of a house or apartment. To scare away the essential oil, all the doors and windows, as well as the ventilation openings, are treated; you can also spray the floor with a mixture of essential oil and water using a spray bottle.
On a note!
At the same time, the owners of the house will successfully provide themselves with aromatherapy sessions, which is useful for the nervous system and strengthening the immune system.
One of the products that ants are afraid of is garlic and its tinctures. They are recommended apply in the garden, rubbing tree trunks, and in the house.
Other foods that scare away ants and aphids:
- Onions and garlic in a cut form are laid out in the house and on the ant paths, the infusion of onion peel can be sprayed plants.
- Vinegar and essence - apply for expelling ants from cabbage beds, from the cottage or house: vinegar is diluted in half with water and treated with a solution of ant trails, nests. Insects do not like the sharp smell, and they leave the shelter.
- Freshly brewed coffee, or rather its pressing, can be laid out near the garden plants to scare away the ants.
- Cinnamon, ground red pepper - are used in the form of a hammer, laying out in the habitats of insects, or added to herbal decoctions.
- Sunflower oil (preferably unrefined) - what the ants are afraid of in the house, is the smell of vegetable oil, so it can be used to combat uninvited guests, but the lack of this method is the presence of greasy stains in the house.
- Millet - The reason why ants do not like it is unknown, however, after pouring millet into an anthill, you can definitely get rid of them.
Folk methods of struggle
Many gardeners and gardeners have tried various folk remedies for ants on their plots:
- To get rid of them from the territory of the garden plot, you can sprinkle ant tracks and use the following substances: woody ash and soot, tobacco dust, large salt, ground cinnamon, red pepper, a mixture of ash, lime and ground tree bark.
- The most humane way of cleaning an anthill is its shading, which is successfully used for small settlements. Insects build their homes in warm, well-lit places to warm their pupae. Therefore, arranging a dense shadow and blocking the access of the sun, you can force the ants to move to a more sunny place.
- To remove from the territory of the villa anthillSome recommend that it be completely dug out with a shovel and transferred to the forest. The same method helps get rid of ants in the cemetery. Others advise to expel insects with the help of the head from smoked herring, which is placed on the ant house.
- Another way to move an anthill is by using a solution of molasses, sugar or jam in the ratio of 1 cup of sweets to a bucket of water.The solution is poured into the anthill, and the insects are gone. This is due to the fact that sweet water causes the reproduction of yeast fungi that infect ant stocks. Insects have to look for another place to stay.
- An existing anthill can be poured with boiling water, and then carefully dug up to destroy the nests, then the ants will go to a quieter place.
- To protect plants from harmful insects do trapping belts - wrapped trunks with foil in the form of skirts with sharp edges, through which the ants can not climb, or double-sided tape.
Methods of prevention against the settlement of ants
Experienced gardeners recommend regularly digging up the soil on the site, destroying small settlements of ants. They will not like to build their nests when they are often disturbed, so the ants will go and look for other places.
Knowing what ants are afraid of grass, it is recommended to grow it in your garden between plantings to protect them from pests.
Above the garden, garden plot and the house you can put around the perimeter of the repellent plants, as described above, or treat them with decoction of herbs.
In order to prevent the penetration of ants into the house, you should follow basic hygienic rules:
- clean the kitchen regularly;
- do not leave food on the table, but carefully wipe food stains;
- all jars and bottles of sweet foods (honey, jam, syrup, etc.) must be washed immediately;
- food stored in sealed containers;
- use soap solution to clean all surfaces and kill insects;
- For the prevention of insects from entering the house, they also use vinegar, rubbing them periodically with all window sills, tables and baseboards, scaring off pests by smell.