Bitten bumblebee - what to do at home
- 1 Bumblebee species and their bites
- 2 Does the bumblebee have a sting
- 3 What is dangerous bumblebee
- 4 Does the bumblebee sting people and why
- 5 Symptoms and appearance of the bite
- 6 First aid for bite
- 7 Treatment and pain relief for bites
- 8 When you need the help of a doctor
- 9 How to prevent bumblebee bites
Some people mistakenly believe that bumblebees are not capable of stinging like bees. However, this is not the case, although they bite only for self-defense and only females that have a sting. Therefore, it is necessary to know how to treat a bumblebee bite and what its consequences are for a person.
Bumblebee species and their bites
Bumblebee belongs to the biological classification of the sitting insect from the family of bees and has more than 300 species. In terms of behavior, they are social insects, living in colonies that collect nectar from flowers.
Common species of bumblebees on the territory of Russia and the possibility of their bites:
- purple bumblebeeAlso called “carpenter”, a black insect with violet-blue wings up to 3 cm in size, refers to a non-aggressive look, but the bite of a blue bumblebee is quite painful;
- stone bumblebees - the body is covered with dark hairs, the scarlet abdomen, size 20-27 mm, live in large colonies between the stones, the bite of a black bumblebee can occasionally cause an allergic reaction;
- earthy - nests are arranged in the ground, sometimes abandoned mouse holes are used, the body is 28 mm long and has a black color with yellow hairs and stripes on the chest, females are larger than males and equipped with a sting, bumblebee bites only for self-defense;
- garden bumblebee - the smallest (length 16-24 mm), belly painted in front and behind yellow, in the middle - black hairs between the wings, colonies arrange in hollows, old stumps and cracks in the ground.
On a note!
Usually, bumblebee colonies consist of 100-200 insects, but they are difficult to detect, since they mask and protect their nests well.
Does the bumblebee have a sting
The sting in bumblebees is present only on the body of working individuals (females) or in the uterus, it is smooth and has no dents. Therefore, after being bitten, the insect does not leave a sting in the body of the victim, as is the case with bees.
Inside the bumblebee's sting (photo below) has an empty channel, like a needle in a syringe. At that moment, as a bumblebee bites, a microscopic portion of poison passes through this cavity. It consists of various components: fats and proteins, peptides, amino acids, aliphatic compounds.
Many are interested in how many stings this insect has and if the bumblebee dies after being bitten. The peculiarity of the structure of the only sting is such that it does not cling to the skin of the victim, therefore there are no negative consequences for the body of the insect.
What is dangerous bumblebee
For most people bitten there are no consequences. However, those who have a predisposition to allergies, may experience an acute toxic reaction to the poison, tk.one of its components is serotonin.
With the repeated bite, the probability of an allergic reaction is much greater than with the first one, since in the human body, once bitten, toxins are produced to the bumblebee poison.
A bite of a bumblebee is also dangerous for pregnant or lactating women, babies, in whom the immune system is not yet able to cope with the action of toxins. Complications are possible if a bumblebee stings in the face (eyes, nose) or head: in the neck or ear. Receipt of poison can cause swelling of the mucous membranes and disrupt their normal functioning.
A bite in the leg or arm, if the sting does not fall into a blood vessel, usually does not give negative consequences, and swelling is possible only if the individual is hypersensitive to the body of the victim.
The most common areas that the bumblebee often stings or bites:
- bite in the finger or hand, while brushing off insects;
- leg bites occur when a person accidentally steps on a nest.
Does the bumblebee sting people and why
Unlike bees, bumblebees bite only for the purpose of self-defense, attacking the one who represents a threat to him or is trying to destroy the hive or stocks of his family.
Also provoke an insect attack can:
- the sharp smell of cosmetics or perfumery, alcohol or fume, an oxidizing metal;
- blue color in clothes or sudden movements of a person.
The maximum danger is represented by multiple bites of bumblebees, due to the large amount of toxins in the bloodstream, which can cause a strong toxic reaction, accompanied by a malfunction of the cardiovascular and nervous systems of humans. There is also the possibility of death when anaphylactic shock occurs and the victim stops breathing.
Symptoms and appearance of the bite
Local reaction to the bite does not depend on whether the sting is left. Many people do not know exactly what a bumblebee bite looks like and whether it hurts bites than bees. The answers to these questions will be a description of the symptoms and consequences of bites.
The usual non-allergic effects of a bite are as follows:
- pain and discomfort in the bite area;
- persistent itching and burning;
- swelling of tissues and a seal resembling a lump, as seen in the photo of a bumblebee bite.
These symptoms appear almost immediately. To say exactly how long it takes to reduce them is difficult.They can remain for several days, and the next day the local reaction is likely to spread to neighboring areas of the skin. With a strong scratching situation worsens.
Allergic manifestations may also appear not immediately due to the lack of antibodies to the bumblebee poison in the victim's body, but sometimes a strong instant reaction is possible with individual intolerance.
Negative allergic symptoms:
- swelling and redness not only of the bite zone, but of the whole body;
- severe itching, skin rashes, blistering;
- toxic reaction: nausea, vomiting and diarrhea;
- trouble breathing, choking;
- fever and chills;
- increased heart rate.
Very rarely, but there is the likelihood of anaphylactic shock, which is accompanied by dizziness, suffocation, cramps, and fainting. In such a situation it is necessary to call an ambulance.
With multiple bumblebee bites, toxic manifestations of the body are possible:
- weakness and dizziness;
- heart rhythm disorders.
First aid for bite
The most important question that interests many people: how to treat bumblebee bites. Actions usually depend on the severity of the effects of the bite:
- If the sting is seen in the bitten place, then it should be pulled out with tweezers previously disinfected.
- Then this area must be anointed or treated with an antiseptic, putting a tampon with alcohol, hydrogen peroxide or a solution of potassium permanganate; no need to make an effort to squeeze out the poison, so as not to infect the infection in the wound.
- Put a cold compress to help reduce swelling and relieve pain.
- Drink an antihistamine to relieve a possible allergic reaction even if there is no predisposition in it: Suprastin, Erius, Zodak, etc.
- In the following hours it is necessary to increase the intake of fluid (water and tea with sugar), which will reduce the likelihood of a toxic reaction.
- If the patient's condition worsens, it is better to call a doctor.
When stinging a bumblebee is prohibited:
- try to slam or crush an insect, because secreted toxic substances will attract the rest of the colony;
- comb the bitten place;
- take sleeping pills or alcohol.
On a note!
To prevent poison from spreading to adjacent areas of the skin, it is necessary to avoid scratching and friction in the zone of bumblebee bites. Consumption of alcoholic beverages and hot baths are also not recommended, since this can provoke the expansion of blood vessels and the wider distribution of toxic toxins in the victim's body.
Treatment and pain relief for bites
At home, treatment should be carried out by plant or medical means to relieve discomfort and pain:
- antiseptics: iodine, alcohol, hydrogen peroxide, Mirasmistin;
- gels that help relieve inflammation, itching and burning: Fenistil, Advantan;
- homeopathic medicines are taken to prevent an acute reaction of the body to the bumblebee poison: Apis Mellifika, Urtika Urens.
Help for a bite in the face or eyes: wash the mucous eyes with strong tea (it is better to cool), you can attach a tea bag that will help relieve swelling and soothe.
For the treatment of the effects of a bumblebee bite are used and folk remedies:
- compresses of fresh green plantain, parsley, dandelion leaves;
- baking soda solution,which in a mushy state is superimposed on the bitten place;
- raw potatoes, a piece of cucumber, apple or tomato;
- freshly squeezed lemon juice mixed with vodka;
- chopped onions;
- frozen milk in cubes;
- chilled olive oil to lubricate the skin;
- a mixture of 1 tsp. honey and 1 garlic clove;
- Aloe leaf, from which it is necessary to remove the skin and attach the pulp to the sore spot;
- gruel from crushed tablets of activated charcoal or validol with water.
Herbal infusions and decoctions that help remove the bite mark and reduce negative sensations:
- a mixture of dried chamomile flowers and calendula: a decoction is made, which can be used to wipe the bitten place and drink as a sedative;
- basil: 3 tsp. pour a glass of boiling water, boil for 5 minutes, then cool and take 1 tbsp. l 3 p. per day and for lotions;
- calendula infusion: 1 tbsp. l of grass per 200 g of alcohol (70%), insist 3 days, then dilute with 1 tsp per 50 g of water, and soak the fabric with the resulting solution and make lotions.
When you need the help of a doctor
Communicate for medical assistance is necessary in situations where:
- multiple insect bites;
- a bumblebee has bitten a child, a pregnant woman, or a person who has an acute tendency to allergies;
- the bite is on the face, near the eyes or mouth;
- there are symptoms of acute toxicity of the body;
- there was infection of the wound at the site of the bite, suppuration.
How to prevent bumblebee bites
If bumblebees appear in the house, they should pull out. So that they do not bite, you must adhere to precautions:
- Do not try to catch or touch an insect, do not swing your arms near it.
- Try to avoid places of accumulation of bees and bumblebees (fruits on the market, etc.).
- In the house on the windows to put mosquito nets.
- On the street do not eat sweet food.
- In the period of a country trip or picnic, do not wear bright clothes and do not use perfumes with harsh aromas.
If, after all, a nuisance occurred and the bite could not be avoided, then the above recommendations will tell you what to do if you bit the bumblebee: how to treat it and when to see a doctor.